What are Chia Seeds?
Chia seeds are edible seeds that come from a desert plant known as Salvia Hispanica. They were grown in Mexico as far back as Mayan and Aztec times. They are also a relative of the mint plant.
- Massive Amount of Nutrients– They contain healthy omega-3 fatty acids, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, magnesium, phosphorus, and calcium.
- Loaded with Antioxidants– They can fight the production of free radicals.
- Almost All the Carbs = Fiber– Since fiber does not raise blood sugar and does not require insulin, it technically should not be counted as a carb. Chia seeds are considered the best source of fiber in the world because they are 40% fiber by weight.
- High in Protein– They are a good source of protein for people that do not eat animal products.
- Help Lose Weight– Although by themselves they cannot help an individual lose weight, they work well with other weight loss strategies. The fiber in the seeds can absorb a large amount of water, which causes them to expand in the stomach. This can make a person feell fuller, which means they consume less food.
- High in Omega-3 Fatty Acids– They contain more omega-3 fatty acids than salmon.
- Improve Certain Blood Markers– This can cause a reduced risk of heart disease and Type II diabetes.
- Nutrients for Bones– Calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and protein found in chia seeds are all important for bone health.
- Can Improve Exercise Performance– Since they are naturally known for their energy-boosting properties, people can substitute sports drinks for these magical little seeds.
How to Use It:
- Can be added to smoothies
- Used as an egg substitute
- Mixed in water
- Make chia seed pudding
- Mix seeds in yogurt
- Add seeds to thicken soup/add nutrients
- Add seeds to salads/salad dressings
Easy Chia Seed Pudding Recipe:
Servings – 4
- 2 cups coconut milk OR almond milk
- ½ cup chia seeds
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup maple syrup OR sweetener of choice
- ¼ tsp cinnamon (optional)
1. You can either blend all the ingredients in a blender or just mix them in a large bowl
2. Pour mixture into mason jars OR glass container
3. Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours OR overnight (overnight usually produces the best outcome)
4. Once pudding has formed, add any toppings of your choosing (strawberries, bananas, blueberries, granola…)